When you think about it, it’s a brilliant marketing strategy. Each invited influencer shares the unique experience with his or her audience via live tweets, blogs, Instagram stories, and videos.
Essentially, NASA is massively increasing its exposure. The benefits of using social media influencers as a marketing strategy for your company are endless.
It’s a win-win situation.
The influencers who attend these events are given incredible media coverage, which means TONS OF EXPOSURE for them. And for NASA, well, they get to reach an audience they may never have been able to before.
The best part is, getting an invitation to one of these events might be easier than you think. All you need is an interest in space exploration and a great following on social media.
On August 12, twenty-five social media influencers from all walks of life had this exact experience when they were invited to witness the launch of NASA’s Parker Solar Probe.
Attendees invited to this event included a famous Instagrammer, several well-known bloggers, a marketing consultant, a Disney World cast member, an IT consultant, aspiring photographer and more.
How do I become a Social Media Influencer for NASA?
You don’t have to be a brilliant scientist, engineer, or expert mathematician to be invited. All you need to do is meet NASA’s eligibility criteria for social media influencers:
- Actively use multiple social networking platforms
- Regularly produce new content that features multimedia elements
- Have a large reach of followers
- Your audience reach is separate and distinctive from traditional news media and/or NASA audiences
- Have an established history of consistent activity on social media
- Previous posts of yours have lots of views and engagement
- You do NOT feature any profanity, spam, or otherwise inappropriate material
Get Invited to NASA’s InSight Mars Mission!
On Monday, November 26, NASA’s InSight lander is scheduled for touchdown on Mars on a mission to study the planet’s interior. Up to thirty NASA social media influencers will be selected for the opportunity to do the following:
- Participate in a televised pre-landing briefing
- Speak with InSight mission scientists and engineers
- Interact with NASA social media managers and fellow attendees
- Tour special facilities around JPL, including mission control for all spacecraft beyond the Moon; an indoor “Mars Yard” featuring InSight spacecraft test hardware; and the laboratory where InSight chips were made to carry 2.4 million names to Mars
- Experience landing alongside journalists and NASA team members
Registration is open for this event, but DON’T WAIT!
The deadline to apply is September 3 at 8:59 p.m. PDT.
What if I don’t meet NASA’s criteria for social media influencers?
We can help! Riotly is a social media agency dedicated to helping people grow their Instagram following organically.
We work with you to find your target audience, engage with them, and ultimately grow your fan base in a meaningful and personal way.
The best part is, you’ll have multiple Riotly team members working with you on your account at all times, which means you’ll get to NASA-level social media status in no time!
To read more about how we can help, or to speak with a member of our team, click here.