Instagram Stories have taken the social media world by storm. The stories feature is perfect for sharing daily moments and experiences with your followers. This is especially useful for IG users who want to connect with their audience on a daily basis, without bombing their feed. So, let’s talk about Instagram Story Dimensions, and how to use them to create the perfect content!
Instagram Story Dimensions
Instagram Story dimensions can be optimized and used in many different ways, including the following:
- Sharing various highlights throughout an entire event, show or conference without cluttering your profile page
- Ad campaigns (for businesses or influencers)
- Event or date-specific promotions or sales
- Keeping engagement and visibility up with your followers while saving your profile feed for only the best highlights.
- Keeping your content at the top of your follower’s Instagram feed (especially useful after changes to the Instagram Algorithm made this more difficult)
Ok, so now that we know why you should be using Instagram Stories, let’s take a look at Instagram Story dimensions and how to optimize your Story posts to look amazing.
Instagram is very strict about its Instagram Story dimensions, which is why it’s so important to make sure you’re within the right parameters. If you upload a photo or video to your Instagram Story that does not fit the Instagram Story dimension requirements, your content will get cropped, zoomed, cut-off or otherwise diminished in quality.
Instagram Story Dimensions and Aspect Ratio
The first thing to remember is that any photo or video you wish to add to your Instagram Story must be in portrait mode (vertical). This camera orientation requirement is designed to keep the playing field level between smartphones.
The Instagram Story dimensions are:
What is aspect ratio?
You can view a more in-depth definition of what aspect ratio is here, but all you really need to know is that it means the height and the width always stay the same.
For example, if you are trying to optimize an ad or campaign for your Instagram Story, you need to make sure you size it to the proper Instagram Story dimensions, which you can do by aspect ratio. Befunky has a great Photo Editing tool that can help you adjust the size of a photo with ease. Here’s how to do it:
- Upload the photo you want to use and then click on “Resize” on the left-hand side of the screen.
- You can manually input the Instagram Story dimensions 1080 pixels x 1920 pixels into the “width” and “height” columns. You will need to unclick the box that says “lock aspect ratio” to do this.
- Just remember, if your photo is not already close to the current Instagram story dimensions, resizing it could warp or smoosh your photo.
Note: If you’re using your smartphone in vertical mode to snap photos or videos for your story, you shouldn’t have to do any editing to meet Instagram’s story dimensions. That being said, it’s always great to have resources for how to do it, just in case!
There you have it! The perfect dimensions for your Instagram story to look amazing!
- Get more view for your Instagram Stories with our Instagram growth service. We offer a Free Trial as well as several different Monthly Plans designed to help you grow your Instagram account organically.
- Now that you’ve got the Instagram Story dimensions down, learn how to write the best Instagram Captions to double the traffic and engagement for your regular posts!
- Don’t stop there, we’ve also got a guide to the best Instagram hashtags right here. Check it out!