Warning: Parameter 2 to wp_hide_post_Public::query_posts_join() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/customer/www/riotlysocialmedia.com/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 308
Are you sure you really know How to Instagram? Well, in case you have any doubt, Riotly Social Media brings you a simple but detailed guide about how to use Instagram with EVERYTHING you need to know to start using this famous and useful app.
How to Instagram– Table of contents.
In order to Start using Instagram you need to do the following things:
- Install the App
- Create an account
- Follow people
Once you’re done with the setup, you can take advantage of everything this app has to offer and perform the following actions:
- Watch other people’s posts and Engage with them in your Home tab
- Lookup and Discover Interesting Posts in the Search tab
- Publish pictures or videos in the Publish tab
- Review everything that’s happening in the Notification tab
- Manage your profile and Account on the Profile tab
We will explain each and every function available on all these tabs, so you can quickly start to get the most out of Instagram.
How to Get Started with Instagram
How to begin on Instagram: Install the App
Downloading Instagram’s App is the first step to enter in this Photo sharing Social Media Platform.
Most Instagram’s functions are only available on the phone, so you NEED to download it. How do you install Instagram? -Well, to do so just:
- Go to your phone’s app marketplace.
- Find the Instagram app. You can do this by searching for “Instagram” on the AppStore (Apple) or Google Play (Android)
- Select the official Instagram app (its logo is a multicolored camera)
- Download the app.
- Once you’ve downloaded Instagram, You’ll have to Sign Up or Log In
How to start on Instagram: Creating an Account
After downloading the app, you’ll have to create an account. It’s free and it usually takes less than 5 minutes. To create an account on Instagram, follow these steps:
- Open your Instagram app.
- At the bottom of the screen you should find a link reads: “Don’t have an account? Sign Up.” Click here.
- Here, you can choose to Sign up with your email address or your phone number.
- Then you should type your full name and a password. You can also add a profile photo if you wish to.
- Now, Instagram creates a random Username for you, but you can change it (Make sure you create a catchy name).
- Once you finished your account creation you can choose to invite your friends from Facebook and from your phone’s contact list. (You can skip this step if you want).
How to start with Instagram: Discover and Follow People
What does following means? Following users allows you to watch their pictures and videos in your “Home” tab.
Right after you create your account, you have the option to follow some suggested Instagram accounts by clicking the “Follow” button next to their username.
This list with suggestions will probably include some famous celebrities and brands.
Once more, you will have the option to follow your Facebook friends and your phone’s contacts if you previously skipped that part. These are available at the top of the screen.
Hit “Done” once you’re ready to continue.
If you want to come back to the discover window, go to your profile and tap the little icon on the upper left corner that looks like a little person with a + symbol.
How to use Instagram tabs
Instagram has 5 different tabs in which you can perform different actions. Move through these tabs by clicking on the little icons located in the bottom of the app.
How to Instagram: The Home tab.
There are four main things you can do on the Home tab:
- Scroll down to see all the media posted by the people you follow.
- Click on the little circles on the top to watch the Instagram Stories of the people you follow. (Instagram Stories are Images or videos that show up for 15 seconds and are erased after 24 hours of being posted).
- Tap on the camera icon to post your own Instagram Stories. You must allow Instagram to use your phone’s microphone and camera in order to do it. You can share them privately or publish them for all your followers to see.
- Hit the Delta icon in the top right to review your private message inbox or send direct messages to your friends.
What can you do when you watch other people’s media?
Probably, most of the time you’ll just scroll down through Instagram’s Homepage or review the Stories in the top of the screen.
You can interact in three ways:
- Like: By double tapping on an image or video.
- Comment: By clicking the speech bubble icon.
- Message: By clicking on the arrow you can send the image to someone else you follow.
You can also:
- Visit profiles: Tap on the Instagrammer’s username or profile picture to go directly to his profile to check his other posts.
- Discover more: By clicking on the picture’s location (located beneath the username you can browse other images from the same location.
How to Instagram: The Search tab.
The second icon on the bottom represents the Search Page (Also known as the Explore Screen). By clicking on this button that looks like a magnifying glass you can search for topics, hashtags, accounts, places, and keywords.
To search, type down whatever you’re looking for on the search bar, just like you do on google
Beneath the Search bar, you’ll probably see some of the most popular pictures, videos, and stories from around the world; These include personalized suggestions based on the things you like.
You can also be more specific by using the tabs to select what you’re looking for (People, Hashtags or Places).
How to use Instagram: Publishing Page.
By tapping on the “+” icon located in the bottom center of the app you can enter Instagram’s “Sharing tab” or “Camera Page”.
In this section, you can share your posts to the world!!! Or at least to the people who follow you.
You have three options:
- Library: Upload pre-existing photos and videos stored on your phone from your camera library.
- Take a Photo: Take new pictures with Instagram’s in-app camera. (You’ll be asked to allow Instagram to use your phone’s camera).
- Record a Video: You can publish videos on Instagram up to one minute long. To record a video click on the big button in the center. You can control the recording by holding and letting go of the record button.
How to post a Picture or a Video on Instagram
After you finish choosing or taking your image here tap Next in the top right corner of the screen.
Tip: When choosing a photo to upload, special events or holidays are great opportunities to create posts that will drive engagement. This article is a great example of how you can use a holiday like Mother’s Day to increase likes and engagement.
Once you choose a photo, you’ll be able to add Filters and edit the look of your post. You can change style, brightness, contrast, structure, add a vignette, a blur, and so on. Tap Next when you’re satisfied with the edits you’ve made.
On the final screen you can do a few more things before sharing your media:
- Add a caption: This is a description that appears on the bottom of your image; here you can also include hashtags so others can find it in the search results.
- Tag people: Tag other users on this post.
- Add the picture’s location: You’ll be asked to allow Instagram to access your phone’s location.
- Share it on other networks: Post it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or Flickr too. You’ll be asked to link these accounts in order to do this.
- Send a private message: Of course! You can choose to share your post only with a few people. Just tap “Direct” at the top of the screen select who will see it.
Once you’re done just tap “Share” at the bottom of the page. And that’s it!
How to use Instagram: Activity page.
Enter your Activity Tab by tapping the heart icon at the bottom of the app (the fourth one from left to right).
Here, you can review the notifications every time you get new likes, comments, tags, friend requests, and followers.
If you tap the “Following” tab on the top, you can also see the recent activity of the people you follow. This way you can know exactly who they’ve started following and what they have been liking.
How to Instagram: Managing your account
Finally, the last item on the bottom menu is Your Account Page. This one is usually a circle with your profile picture or a little icon that looks like a person on the right corner of the app.
- Person icon: See all the pictures or videos that you’ve been tagged in.
- Pin icon: A map with the location of each and every post you’ve made (if you’ve been tagging your location).
- + icon: Add your friends from other Social Networks by tapping on this little icon on the upper left corner. (We talked about this above in “Discover and Follow People”)
- Gear icon: This little button in the top right corner of the screen allows you to review and change your Instagram Account settings.
- Edit Profile button: By clicking on this rectangular button on the right of your profile pic you can change your name, username, update your bio, change your profile picture, add a link to your website and include more info about you.
Phew, that was a lot of info! If you still have any questions just leave us a comment below!
Oh! And by the way, if you want to start quickly on Instagram and raise your followers fast we recommend you try Riotly Social Media FREE 6-DAY TRIAL in which you can get 250 new real and active followers on Instagram FOR FREE! Discover their plans! Just click here